Here I present 10 interesting facts about micro organism.
- Drying your hands with paper towel will reduce the bacterial count by 45 – 60% on your hands. However, using a hand dryer will increase the bacteria on your hands by up to 255% because it blows out bacteria already living in the, conveniently, warm moist environment.
- The amount of bacteria on a pair of jeans doesn’t increase after about 2 weeks of wear. The study had the test subject wear the jeans non-stop for 15 months, and still it didn’t develop an unhealthy amount of bacteria.
- Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.
- Honey is a natural reservoir for the Botulism bacteria. Adults can normally process it and infants can’t and this is why you shouldn’t give babies honey.
- Human breast milk contains sugars (oligosaccharides) intended to feed intestinal bacteria, rather than the infant itself.
- Unwashed eggs still have their protective coating, the bloom, and are safe to store on the counter. Many modern countries wash eggs before sale so they ‘look’ cleaner and safer, but this opens the pores of the shell for infection from bacteria during storage time.
- Store-bought mayonnaise, which is often blamed for food poisoning, actually inhibits the growth of bacteria. Food poisoning on a picnic is almost always caused by some other ingredient, like chicken.
- One teaspoon of the bacterium C. botulinum, if properly distributed, could kill every single human being in the USA
- The “smell” of rain after a storm is produced by the same type of bacteria that causes water to taste “earthy”.
- Human bites are one of the most dangerous animal bites in the world due to the bacteria in our mouths.