Fever blister or Cold sores are usually caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). Herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) usually affect the genitals parts.
In most cases the virus is passed on in early childhood for example, when a child is kissed by a family member or friend with a cold sore. The virus passes through the skin and travels up the nerves. Virus will hide in the nerve supplying the face and when your immune system get weak or disturb this will travel to the lips, in the beginning you may feel tingling and itchy sensation later on it will convert in to water blister in your lips.
When you may feel itch or tingling sensation around the lips and you are experience that now it’s time for your water blister or cold sores, you can take some vitamin complex, Paracetamol or put some antiviral cream ( acyclovir) over such area that might helpful in some case to stop this process to happen.
Moreover you should take care of the things that will trigger the cold sore,
Factors thought to trigger outbreaks of cold sores include:
- weakened Immune System
- tiredness and fatigue
- an injury to the affected area
- emotional upset or psychological stress
- having a high temperature (fever)
- having another infection, such as respiratory tract infection
- menstruation periods
- strong sunlight
- exposure to cold
Treating the cold sores or fever blister:
- Cold sores usually clear up by themselves without treatment within 7 to 10 days.
- Antiviral creams can be applied as soon as the first signs of a cold sore appear, when you feel a tingling, itching or burning sensation around your mouth. Antiviral creams after the blister formation is less likely to work properly.
- Antiviral tablets from oral route may be prescribed for severe cases.
- Can take anti pain medicine like Paracetamol or ibuprofen, this type of medication will help to forget your pain and relief your sense of uneasiness
- Can take multivitamin to boast your immune system
- Drink lot of water to fight against any type of viral infection
- Avoid touching cold sores unless you’re applying cold sore cream