Many of us in our life time have feel great discomfort having the ulcer or sore inside the mouth, mostly in lips and don’t know what really that is and how to deal with that ulcer. I am sharing some of the things that might be beneficial regarding ulcer inside the mouth.
The medical term for such type of ulcer is known as aphthous stomatitis or aphthous ulcer. The exact reason why aphthous ulcers develop is not yet clearly defined. Approximately 40% of people who get aphthous ulcers have a family history of the same. There are certain factors that trigger aphthous ulcer or mouth ulcer are as follows:
- Certain foods including chocolate
- Certain toothpastes
- Emotional stress and lack of sleep
- Mechanical trauma, for example self-bite while sleeping
- Menstrual cycle
- Nutritional deficiencies, particularly vitamins B, iron, and folic acid
- Viral infections
Most recurrent minor aphthous ulcers heal within 1-2 weeks without any treatment. The main goal of treatment is to lessen the pain and discomfort, and promote healing. There are certain things that you can do to relief or fast healing from mouth ulcer are as follows:
- Gargle with salt water or some antibacterical mouthwashes.
- Dietary supplements of vitamins or minerals, so can take some vitamin capsule.
- Eat ice, ice pops, or other cold foods.
- Take anti-pain medications, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen in severe pain.
- Avoid squeezing or picking at the sores or blisters.
- Avoidance of foods that trigger or exacerbate the ulcers like hard and spicy foods.
- Reduction in stress.
- Application of any toothpaste on the area many times a day gives quick relief from mouth ulcers.
- Interestingly, smoking may be protective against aphthous ulcer.